(NationalSentinel) National Security: While #nevertrumpers continue to wring their hands over the president’s decision to deliver a major blow to the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for his government’s latest use of poison gas, geopolitical analysts and experts tend to believe that what President Donald Trump did was more than just destroy an airbase.
They believe he was sending a message to the world’s other troublemakers, including North Korea.
In an emailed statement to Fox News, Daily Beast columnist Gordon Chang, author of “Nuclear Showdown: North Korea Takes On The World,” said North Korean leader Kim Jong-un that the U.S. strike on the Syrian airfield tells him “that he must now heed American military power, something that he probably dismissed before.”
“Kim’s father, Kim Jong Il, disappeared from public view for about six weeks in 2003 at the time of the Iraq war. Kim Jong-Un loves the public spotlight, and it will be telling if he similarly goes into hiding,” the author said.
In addition to sending Iran the same message, experts also believe that Trump’s decision to strike Syria while he was hosting the lead of China was also intentional.
The airstrikes are “a warning to China’s People’s Liberation Army, which had grown dismissive of the U.S. Navy and Air Force. Xi Jinping, the Chinese leader visiting Mar-a-Lago, almost certainly interpreted the strike as a sign of disrespect to him,” Chang said.
For two weeks the Trump administration has been sending verbal signals to both North Korea and China that the White House had dismissed previous policies of continuing to seek diplomatic rapprochement with Pyongyang, declaring decades-long talks fruitless, given the North’s continued nuclear weapons development.
Trump and his national security team appear to have concluded that waiting for North Korea to develop the technology to put a nuclear device atop an ICBM that could threaten Europe, Japan and parts of the U.S. is unacceptable. Prior to his meeting with Xi this weekend, Trump told the Financial Times in an interview that the U.S. would like Chinese assistance in dealing with North Korea, but if that assistance was not forthcoming, Washington would go it alone.
Not everyone agrees that the military option is a good one.
Retired four-star Gen. Jack Keane told Fox News on Wednesday that the U.S. is “rapidly and dangerously heading towards the reality that the military option is the only one left when it comes to getting North Korea to denuclearize and not weaponized [intercontinental ballistic missiles].”
Still, that may be what the president has decided to do. Reuters is reporting this morning:
A U.S. Navy strike group will be moving toward the western Pacific Ocean near the Korean peninsula as a show of force, a U.S. official told Reuters on Saturday, as concerns grow about North Korea’s advancing weapons program.
Earlier this month North Korea tested a liquid-fueled Scud missile which only traveled a fraction of its range.
The strike group, called Carl Vinson, includes an aircraft carrier and will make its way from Singapore toward the Korean peninsula, according to the official, who was not authorized to speak to the media and requested anonymity.
“We feel the increased presence is necessary,” the official said, citing North Korea’s worrisome behavior.
The timing of this deployment – the battle group was expected to make a port call in Australia – is interesting. Did Trump and Xi strike a deal regarding the North? Presuming the South Koreans are on board, Xi’s blessing would be icing on the cake, diplomatically speaking.