(National Sentinel) Mass Murder: A second “person of interest” was sought by authorities in connection with the Oct. 1 mass shooting in Las Vegas, according to newly released search warrant records.
As reported by the Las Vegas Review-Journal, which — along with other media outlets — sought the release of some 300 court documents, the papers show for the first time that police and FBI investigators sought to question another suspect in the horrific murders.
“Until the investigation can rule otherwise, Marilou Danley and Douglas Haig have become persons of interest who may have conspired with Stephen Paddock to commit Murder with a Deadly Weapon,” according to the Metropolitan Police Department document, which was prepared in October.
Danley was the girlfriend of primary shooting suspect Stephen Paddock and was initially sought as a suspect in the case. She has since been ruled out by authorities as being connected with the shootings, which took place on the 32 floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.
Haig, however, has not previously been revealed as a suspect. The LVRJ said he could not be reached for comment.
The paper contacted Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo by phone on Tuesday to comment on Haig. However, he only said, “If you’ve got it, publish it.” He said he could not comment on a federal case.
FBI officials also did not comment.
During a Jan. 20 press briefing, Lombardo said authorities the FBI had an open investigation into a person of interest, though he said repeatedly that Paddock was the only shooter. He also said he doesn’t expect any charges to be filed against Danley.
“I know and believe there was only one suspect who killed 58 people and injured hundreds more,” Lombardo said. “All the evidence recovered in this case supports that theory. There was one shooter in the 1 October massacre. There was only one person responsible, and that was Stephen Paddock.”
The paper reported that Paddock’s brother, Eric Paddock, said he’d never heard of Haig.
“Authorities in Las Vegas have said that while Stephen Paddock acted alone in killing 58 people at the music festival before killing himself in his Mandalay Bay suite, possible criminal charges are still being investigated,” the LVRJ reported.
Update: [12:32 p.m. CST] Haig broke his silence and gave an interview to the UK’s Daily Mail, in which he said he only met Paddock once to sell him tracer ammunition, which Paddock used in his mass shooting. “He showed up. He told me exactly what he wanted. I handed him a box with the ammunition in it. He paid me and he left,” he said.
Advertising disclaimer: Click here
What are your thoughts?