(National Sentinel) Obstruction: Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf came under fire this week for alerting illegal aliens in her city that Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents were preparing to swoop in and make mass arrests.
Now she’s being criticized by the ICE chief for bashing the agency and for calling the performance of their duties “racist.”
ICE Director Thomas Homan slammed Schaaf for acting on a classified tip in notifying the public about the impending operation. He compared her actions to a “gang lookout yelling ‘police.’” He has also said that her actions put ICE officers in danger along with the entire Oakland community.
Agents arrested about 150 people believed to be in the U.S. illegally. The immigration agency said about half of them had criminal records and a sizeable number of those were for violent crimes.
But Homan said thanks to Schaaf’s warning, some 800 suspected non-citizens were able to evade capture.
“There’s 800 that we are unable to locate because of that warning, so that community is a lot less safe than it would have been,” Homan said during an appearance on Fox News.
He noted further that the sanctuary city mayor’s warning “is no better than a gang lookout yelling ‘police’ when a police cruiser comes in the neighborhood, except she did it to the entire community.”
“I’ll say this to the mayor and every other politician that wants to vilify the men and women of ICE — we are not going away, we are going to keep enforcing the law,” Homan added.
The Department of Homeland Security, under which ICE falls, has asked the Justice Department to investigate whether officials of sanctuary cities can be charged with any federal crimes.
As for Schaaf, some legal analysts have suggested that she may be guilty of obstructing justice in this particular case, though earlier reports in California media said she consulted with city attorneys before making her decision to warn the public.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2018 The National Sentinel
2 Comments on Oakland mayor who tipped off illegal aliens to ICE raids calls agency ‘racist’ for doing their jobs
5 Trackbacks / Pingbacks
- Report: Justice Dept. reviewing possibility of charges against Oakland mayor who TIPPED OFF illegal aliens to ICE raid
- AG Sessions to announce MAJOR crackdown on California ‘sanctuary cities’; U.S. will SUE state over immigration laws
- Yes, we ARE “America the divided,” but you can thank Democrats — the American Communist Party — for that – 1AFSYM
- Divided are WE? Sure, but thank the Democrats for that
- LAWLESS Left-wing California mayor helped illegal aliens with sex, robbery convictions evade certain capture by ICE agents | ACGR's "News with Attitude"