(National Sentinel) Paid Liars: Our founding fathers adopted freedom of the press as part of the Constitution because they understood that a free press was a vital part of holding those in power accountable.
The profession of journalism, as it was once taught, included these principles, according to the American Press Association:
- Journalism’s first loyalty is to truth
- Its first loyalty is to all the citizens
- Its essence is a discipline of verification
- Its practitioners must maintain an independence from those they cover
- It must serve as an independent check on power
- It must provide a forum for public criticism and compromise
- It must strive to make the significant interesting and relevant
- It must keep the news comprehensive and proportional
- It’s practitioners must be allowed to exercise their personal conscience
It seems that in the age of POTUS Trump, most “mainstream” journalists have forgotten all of those principles except the last one.
This comes to mind:
That photo was completely faked to create the false narrative that all immigrant children were being “ripped” from their parents’ arms at the border.
This little girl never was.
That’s her mother she’s standing with.
The media today have completely abandoned most of the principles called for by our profession. The amount of fake news traffickers like CNN, The New York Times, and the Washington Post alone have generated since before Trump was inaugurated is enough to have ended several careers.
But none have been ended.
All of this helps explain the results of a new CBS Battleground Survey showing media trust among POTUS Trump’s supporters at cratered levels: Just 11 percent believe the fake news media, while a whopping 91 percent believe our president instead.
And who can blame them? Ninety percent of the coverage of POTUS has been negative (and in many cases…wrong!).
NEW CBS POLL: nearly all strong supporters of President Trump say they trust him for accurate information, while only 11 percent trust the mainstream media https://t.co/GK8aNOm3Op pic.twitter.com/B2tgZySo5Z
— Face The Nation (@FaceTheNation) July 29, 2018