By Jon Dougherty
Ace investigative columnist John Solomon told Fox News‘ Sean Hannity Tuesday night during his show that, according to Solomon’s sources, POTUS Donald Trump is expected to begin declassifying a series of documents exposing President Obama’s deep state “Spygate” plot to undermine his presidency.
In particular, Solomon noted, the president will begin with with the release of “Bucket 5” documents, otherwise known as exculpatory statements the FBI possessed about its targets before agents went to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court to get warrants to spy on them.
Meanwhile, investigative reporter Sara A. Carter added that Bucket 5 also includes transcripts and tapes of former Trump advisers George Papadopoulos and Carter Page saying that there was no way the 2016 campaign was working with Russians — information that Obama’s FBI and Justice Department did not share with the FISA court.
Solomon noted that the release could begin within a week to 10 days. He also added that “this is the first time that we know for sure the FBi was in possession of a piece of intelligence from Christopher Steele [author of the infamous ‘Steele Dossier’ used to get a warrant to spy on Page] that had been debunked before they went to the FISA court.”
He added that the FBI wasn’t in the process of verifying it — they had already debunked it.
Solomon went onto to note that he inquired with the FBI in October 2016 about a claim by some in the bureau, by Steele, and the Hillary Clinton campaign that a secret communication channel in Trump Tower in New York and an Alpha Bank (a Russian institution) email server in Moscow existed, and that Trump and Vladimir Putin used it to plot how to steal the 2016 election.
Everyone “in Clinton world was peddling” the claim, as was Steele to contacts in Obama’s State Department.
Solomon said the FBI completely debunked that claim the same month. However, “four days later, knowing that Christopher Steele was peddling it, they go to the FISA court and they represent Christopher Steele as credible, his information is accurate, they have no derogatory information about” any of what is contained in his dossier — though none of had been verified and all was later found to be bogus.
Also of note: Fired FBI Director James Comey signed off on one the first FISA warrant application, though the FBI had found Steele’s document not to be credible, and after DOJ official Bruce Ohr told him and other ranking members of the bureau that Steele was anti-Trump, that his work was being done on behalf of the Clinton campaign, and that it could not be trusted.
Comey then told President-elect Trump in January 2017 that the Steele dossier’s contents were not to be believed — after he signed off on the first FISA warrant.
As for the document declassification, both Hannity and Solomon said they had solid sources for the information.
“Yes, absolutely, I have confirmed that within the next seven to eight days, the president will declassify the first of many documents,” Solomon said. “This first one we used to call ‘Bucket 5,’ the exculpatory statements that the FBI possessed about its targets before it went to the FISA court.”
Also: Solomon noted that, for the first time, a survey by The Hill found that a majority of Americans support investigating the FBI’s conduct regarding the Spygate scandal.
“That is a sea change in public opinion,” Solomon noted.
- Follow Jon Dougherty on Twitter at @JonDougherty10